TLDR
- Walmart shares plummeted over 9% following a disappointing 2.6% increase in US comparable store sales, marking the weakest expansion since early 2020
- The retail giant secured $2.9 billion in tariff rebates, the highest amount disclosed by any corporation, earmarked for lowering customer prices
- Elevated fuel costs are constraining household budgets, with CFO John David Rainey acknowledging a “softer consumer environment”
- Quarterly net earnings reached $6.4 billion for the period concluded July 31, substantially aided by the tariff reimbursement
- The retailer implemented 11,000 price rollbacks during Q2, a significant jump from 7,200 in the previous quarter, targeting value-seeking customers
Walmart (WMT) stock experienced a sharp decline exceeding 9% during Thursday’s early session following the company’s disclosure of its weakest US store sales performance in six years. Comparable sales across American locations advanced merely 2.6% during the second quarter, a notable deceleration from the 4.6% recorded twelve months prior and the 4.1% posted in Q1. This figure represents the most sluggish reading observed since the February-April 2020 timeframe.
The company’s net earnings for the three-month period concluding July 31 totaled $6.4 billion. This figure received substantial support from a $2.9 billion tariff reimbursement, representing the most significant refund disclosed by any corporation to date.
Escalating gasoline prices are significantly impacting consumer purchasing power at retail locations. CFO John David Rainey noted Thursday that conditions reflect “arguably a softer consumer environment than in February,” the period preceding the surge in fuel expenses.
“When gas prices get over $4 a gallon, there’s a psychological impact to that,” Rainey said on the earnings call. “There are choices that consumers are making.”
The deceleration in physical store revenue is additionally attributed to reduced pharmaceutical pricing for GLP-1 weight management treatments, combined with an increasing number of shoppers preferring digital channels over brick-and-mortar locations.
Tariff Refunds Fund Price Cuts
Walmart disclosed it has collected “substantially all” of the $2.9 billion for which it qualified through the tariff reimbursement initiative. The corporation stated these funds are being channeled toward reducing prices across grocery items and general merchandise categories.
Rainey said: “We’re investing heavily in price because customers need us to and because we believe it drives market share gains over time.”
Walmart executed 11,000 rollbacks, representing temporary price reductions, throughout Q2. This marks a considerable increase from the 7,200 implemented during the initial quarter. By July, the company had already lowered prices on various products including beef, Coca-Cola, and laundry detergent.
These tariff reimbursements originate from the Supreme Court’s February decision that invalidated tariffs implemented by the Trump administration through the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The federal government initiated refund distributions in May from the $168 billion accumulated from 330,000 importing entities. Through July 31, approximately $100 billion had been disbursed.
How Walmart Compares to Other Retailers
Walmart isn’t the sole retailer benefiting from substantial refunds. Target disclosed receiving $994 million. Home Depot recorded $730 million. TJX obtained $331 million, while Lowe’s secured $80 million.
Apple, Nike, Amazon, and FedEx have similarly disclosed refunds within their latest financial reports.
Walmart’s operating income surged nearly 30% versus the identical quarter from the previous year, a gain the company partially attributed to the tariff refund injection.
Retail analyst Neil Saunders of GlobalData Retail predicted Walmart would concentrate tariff savings on basic necessities to maintain its everyday low-price positioning. “Wider investments will include things like improved stores,” he added.
As of July 31, $100 billion in IEEPA tariff refunds had been distributed by the US government, according to documentation filed by US Customs and Border Protection in court proceedings.


